Tuesday, April 29, 2008

I have been to the motherland!

I'll admit my search for the perfect fish taco has taken me to many exotic locations, but nothing compares to my first trip to the birthplace of the fish taco to study its pedigree, its roots, its evolution! Well, im glad to report that my trip to Baja was a success. I believe that i barely scratched the surface in my research... but this first trip was amazing. I spent 5 days asking everyone- locals, gringos, surfers, street vendors, hotel staff, drunken entertainers, everyone... to find the best fish taco. Everyone had ideas, these are the two id like to review.

Note: We were near Cabo San Lucas- Mexico is a large country, it will take a lifetime of research to find the perfect one.

The good folks of Cabo Mama have a unique spin on the fish taco- this is a concept that i hope comes to the US and Soon!!



First: Order youre fish taco, out comes a filet on a tortilla- plain and simple.






Second: take it to a dressing bar- like a salsa bar with all the fixings, and dress your fish taco any way you like it. Brilliant! Toppings include- various salsas, guac, cabbage, lettuce, creamy sauses, cucumbers, peppers, you name it. This is the greatest!


Cabo Mama is a great experience it is located at the Mega Mall in San Jose Del Cabo. Its a great surprise and a local favorite. A refreshing twist on the standard fish taco. Do it yourself!

No comments: